Monday, November 12, 2007

Smoked Goulda butter


I was making the clarified smoked goulda stock for my tasting menu. We heated smoked sea salt, smoked goulda, Tasmanian pepper and water in a stock pot. After the mixture was melted we added a small amount of gelatin and froze it into blocks. I took the blocks out 2 days later to melt them into our clarified stock. The milk solids from the cheese had gathered on the top into this impossible smoked goulda butter. I spread it on a nice county loaf and garnished with a 3 tomato salad. Salty and smoky-perfect!!! Always take all your recipes to the limit and beyond. You don't know why until you analyze. I am finding the best things are happening by mistake. That is the way that everything is made. Trial and error.

1 comment:

Richie said...

ahh...i love gelatin clarifications....