Sunday, December 23, 2007

Sou-vide


I don't have a commercial vacuum sealer. I bought a food saver at target and it does an OK job with my sou-vide bags. It does not have enough pressure to compress which is the most interesting technique that I have seen with this piece of machine. I can still get a good marination using this sealer but have to come up with creative ways to package. This sealer will suck liquid out when the vacuum is on in turn giving you a leaky, non-compressed seal.
The way to do it is make sure everything is solid in the bags and not in a liquid form.




For the compressed tomato I froze my olive oil in liquid nitrogen giving me a solid texture and enabling the tomatoes to achieve a solid seal when vacuumed.


To do these carrots I made a compound butter with sesame oil instead of pouring the oil in the bag. Cilantro was added and cooked at 120.2 degrees for 45 minutes.

No comments: