Sunday, May 25, 2008

Yuzu nitro foam

I am slowly working through el bulli 2003, 2004. It has some amazing techniques and a large section on liquid nitrogen techniques. The first molecular item I read about was the Fat Ducks palate cleanser. It is dispensed out of a whip cream canister into liquid nitrogen. I was very happy to see the recipe in El Bulli 2004 specifically recipe number 1004. As I made the recipe I noticed that in the directions it tells you to add gelatin but in the ingredients there is no gelatin listed. I made it the first time following the recipe. It did not work. I then made a new recipe adding a small amount of bloomed gelatin. The nitro foam came out amazing. I will use it to top fish or a soup or anything that needs a crispy cold texture
Recipe:
50 g Water

25 g Yuzu

75 g Sugar

125 g Heavy cream

2.4 g Sheet gelatin bloomed in cold water


Put the water, yuzu and sugar in a saucepan. Boil for 20 seconds. Remove and add the bloomed gelatin. Stir in the cold cream and place in a canister with 1 charge. Cool in fridge for 3 hours. Release a small amount onto a spoon and then into the LN. Let the foam "cook" for 15 seconds. Remove and enjoy immediately

No comments: