Monday, November 23, 2009

Bacon dinner at Opus

Mike Long, owner of opus invited my wife and I to a bacon dinner. Mike asked me about a week ago to do a bacon ice cream for him. I agreed knowing that I could fill my small tank at a local welding store. On Friday I went down and filled my four liter tank. Joe the manager asked what I was driving. I pointed to my Honda in the parking lot. He informed me that I had to have a pickup truck for him to release the nitrogen. It turns out that some guy had a small dewar in his car that spilled all over him and caused third degree burns a few years back. With no pick-up and no one to help at 4 p.m. on a Friday, I parked my car 6 blocks away and told Joe I was going to walk it home. I had to do it, I promised Mike I would make it happen. I made the ice cream base and went to the dinner. We had a great dinner that included

Bacon wrapped scallop with pancetta risotto

Roasted ribeye stuffed with sous-vide pork belly

Peanut butter nougat and bacon chocolate bar with bacon ice cream

It was good to be back in the kitchen for a night. As far as the bacon ice cream, it turned out pretty good but I probably will never make it again