Sunday, June 20, 2010

Shopping for a bullet proof vest this Father's day

Here is the story, I was asked to develop some recipes for a local hamburger restaurant. I was not asked to design a menu rather help with recipes from a list of items the owners wanted on the menu. One reason they came to me is because they new I had been using nitrogen in my cooking for over 3 years. If you want to be technical about it I have stole a lot of techniques from people. The first time I saw Ben from Moto make a hallow sphere I ran to my nitrogen like a little boy and rolled balloons till my hands froze. When I saw Sean Brock make coffee bubbles I tried for weeks to replicate the same structure. I should sign over the deed to my house to Ideas in Food for all ideas I have stole from them. Not to mention the first time ice cream was made with liquid nitrogen was in 1903. Did I steal Richard's nitrogen milkshake, yes, he inspired me to try to make a shake with nitrogen. As the consulting chef I presented a list of ideas I had for shake flavors but in the end it was not my decision what the final menu looked like, it was the owners and the opening chef. Richard's Nutella Marshmallow was never on my list and he does deserve all the credit for it. I have put a lot of ideas out on this blog, I don't think I would ever "load up my gun and do a drive by" if I saw someone making a liquid nitrogen ice cream flavor I made up some where. ( you can read the X-rated version here) Westword Blog.

2 comments:

Frodnesor said...

Good news is, those smoking guns have really limited range. Blais seems to be overreacting a bit. It's not exactly like he's never borrowed a cup of sugar before.

Unknown said...

dude, you get extra credit in my book for laying it all out there. We all get inspired by each other and borrow on ideas.

It's not like you went on Top Chef and stole someone else's techniques and claimed you developed them yourself....