Friday, November 14, 2008

LN Ratatouille

Liquid nitrogen effects different structures in foods. Porous structures like rice crispy treats and marshmallows trap small amounts of nitrogen gas inside them. If you eat someting that has nitogen gas trapped inside, it looks like you have dragon smoke flying out. Solid structures like vegetables will freeze solid and shatter when left in nitrogen to long. I wanted my ratatouille to beable to hold nitorgen in its stucture. To make it I cut the vegetables into 1 inch cubes and tossed them in herbs, olive oil and salt. I then dehydrated them for 12 hours. Next we sliced romas and put them in the dehydrator for 24 hours. They then went into the spice grinder and were turned into a fine powder. I then tossed the dried vegetables with the tomato powder and froze them in LN.

No comments: