Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Packing for New York

Doing a event cross country is a little nerve racking. You must think about everything because you are 2000 miles away from your kitchen. I have cooked at the James Beard House 3 times. Each time we shipped out raw ingredients to a kitchen in New York. We would spend 18 to 20 hours prepping. We would then load our ingredients into a cab and get down to the house and cook. I have learned to utilize my space here at my hotel and ship out already prepped ingredients. Chef Mike Wuster at the W Tuscany has allowed me to ship my package there and he will put it in the walk-in for me. I have the utensils, pots, containers, serving tongs on the bottom in peanuts.

I then place a layer of packaging material that will keep my ingredients cold. Herbs and mushrooms are wrapped in newspaper to protect them. My smoked cheddar broth has been frozen and will keep everything cold for the trip.

1 comment: