Friday, September 26, 2008

Basil Taco Shell

When I am making a menu I think about items that I have made successfully before and how they can be changed into a texture that I want. I wanted a crispy basil shell that can be picked up and eaten. When I make the onion glass recipe from Ideas in Food, I come up with a slightly taffy like texture. To get the crispy texture I want I added crumiel (honey) powder instead of honey. This will hopefully give me a crispier texture. After experimenting with ratios a few times, this is the finished basil shell

Recipe
200 grams basil picked from the stems
100 grams sliced onions
30 grams crumiel powder
50 grams glucose
3 grams salt
50 grams water
3 grams Green sosa natural food coloring
100 grams water

Place all ingredients except the 2nd water in a saucepan. Reduce on medium heat until all of the water is cooked out. Place the solids in a blender with the second amount of water pulse for 3 minutes. Cool in the walk-in for 1 hour. Spray a silt pan and spoon a small amount of paste onto the silt pad. Work into a circles with a spatula. Cook in a 210 degree oven for 2 hours. Remove and place over the end of a whisk to get the taco shape.